Global poverty rates (living off less than $1.90 a day, although extreme poverty is those living on less than $1.25) has been halved since 1990 which is amazing progress, yet there are still millions of people living in extreme poverty & millions of people who only earn this amount a day. Those living in poverty not only have limited food, water & shelter but they are also the largest percentage of the population living without education, healthcare and are those most likely to live with every day violence and social discrimination. They are also the most affected by displacement and refugee status and so they have many needs aside from just day to day provisions-their whole way of life needs to be addressed and improved for eradication of poverty to succeed.
Goal 1 of the SDGs has been set in place to bring an end to worldwide poverty by 2030.
Targets of Goal 1:
1. By 2030 eradicate extreme poverty, those living on less than $1.25 a day
2. By 2030, reduce at least by half the proportion of men, women and children of all ages living in poverty in all its dimensions according to national definitions
3. Implement nationally appropriate social protection systems and measures for all, including floors, and by 2030 achieve substantial coverage of the poor and the vulnerable
4. By 2030, ensure that all men and women, in particular the poor and the vulnerable, have equal rights to economic resources, as well as access to basic services, ownership and control over land and other forms of property, inheritance, natural resources, appropriate new technology and financial services, including microfinance
5. By 2030, build the resilience of the poor and those in vulnerable situations and reduce their exposure and vulnerability to climate-related extreme events and other economic, social and environmental shocks and disasters
6. Ensure significant mobilization of resources from a variety of sources, including through enhanced development cooperation, in order to provide adequate and predictable means for developing countries, in particular least developed countries, to implement programmes and policies to end poverty in all its dimensions
7. Create sound policy frameworks at the national, regional and international levels, based on pro-poor and gender-sensitive development strategies, to support accelerated investment in poverty eradication actions
(The above target information taken from the Sustainable Development Goals UN website)
To read more about the targets and they way in which they have been broken down then go to Sustainable Development UN Org. You will also be able to see the progress that has been made so far in each target area.